Write us

4, place Vauban

89630 Saint Léger Vauban


Tél. : 33(0)3 86 32 26 30

Fax : 33(0)3 86 32 28 80





















The village 

The statue on the village square 

St Leger church

In 1867, Napoléon III  decided to rename the village to pay a tribute to Vauban : Saint  Léger de Foucheret therefore became  Saint Léger Vauban.

The village is located within the Morvan Regional Natural Park. 

It has a population of 500 of whom 70 are Benedictine monks, staying at the Pierre-qui-Vire abbey.

There is a primary school with 40 pupils aged from 6 to 11 , a garage, a bar, a hotel , a restaurant, many guest-houses and a museum, Maison Vauban, dealing with the life and work of Vauban.


Population : 447 inhabitants

Altitude : 460 meters 


Saint Léger Vauban :

The  Café du centre


Marc Hénard (1919-1992)

St Leger church


La Pierre qui Vire abbey - Porch


Another great figure of the village is Marc Hénard (1919-1992) whose house is now hosting the museum Maison Vauban. 

Marc Hénard, like Vauban, was a fully accomplished man : he was an architect, a sculptor, he painted stained-glass windows and worked with enamels.

In 1949, he arrived in La-Pierre-Qui-Vire abbey where he built, on the abbot’s request, a hostel, containing a splendid porch, stained-glass windows and sculptures. 

Throughout his life, he visited Burgundy, restoring religious buildings(such as Alligny, Mâcon or Sermizelles).

Many of his creations are  in Japan, Switzerland and Germany. 

He also worked on sculptures and ceramics in Saint Léger Vauban church.


St Leger church


Places of interest around Saint Léger Vauban 

 The Vauban statue in Avallon by Bartholdi


Saint Léger is a starting point for many walking, cycling or riding tours.


The Pierre-Qui-Vire abbey is well-known for its publishing house for sacred art (éditions du Zodiaque) and, more recently , for its organic cheese products.


Quarré les Tombes : this village, only 3 miles away from Saint Léger Vauban, offers one interesting curiosity : the church is surrounded by merovegian tombs. 


The state-owned forest around the village ( la forêt aux Ducs) has many nice footpaths as well as climbing sites.

Avallon, Vézelay, ....

  Haut de la page




  4, place Vauban  89630 Saint Léger Vauban  ~ Tél. : 03 86 32 26 30 - Fax : 03 86 32 28 80

 | Écomusée du Morvan | Association  | Édition  | Diffusion  |  Accès et Tarifs  | Le village  | Citations  |  Nous contacter | Infos utiles |  

 | Homepage  | Association | Publications and Documents  | Our publishing | Acces & fare  | The village  | Contact us |

Copyright 2001 - 2010 © Écomusée Vauban  - -  Mise à jour / Update :  05/02/10